[CMake] CTest dependencies on tests

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Thu May 5 11:46:24 EDT 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Neil Chittenden <
neilchittenden at quintessa.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Using CTest, it is possible to set a dependency on another test using:
>
>  add_test(test1 test1.sh this is test 1)
>  add_test(test2 test2.sh this is test 2)
>  set_tests_properties(test1 PROPERTIES DEPENDS test2)
>
> Is it possible to:
> a) only run a test (test1 in my example) if the test it depends on (test2)
> is successful rather than always running the test

No. The DEPENDS clause simply indicates the order of the test runs. But
ctest will always attempt to run all tests. (Unless you limit it from the
ctest command line via index, label or name matching, i.e., with -I or -L or
-R)

> b) set an expected return code for the test. e.g. test1 is only successful
> if it returns 1 and returning 0 or 2 is a fail.

No. ctest uses 0 == no error == pass, and non-0 == error == fail. You can
invert the sense of it with the WILL_FAIL property. But there is currently
no mechanism for specifying an exact expected return value.

> I know I could handle these in my test scripts but was just wondering if
> there was a more elegant solution using CTest.
>
> Cheers
> ---
> Neil

Handling it in your scripts is the best way to go right now.

HTH,
David