[CMake] Documentation suggestion

Benjamin Eikel cmake at eikel.org
Mon May 2 10:55:08 EDT 2011

To answer myself:
The problem could be that one has to write a parser. From [1]:

12. My favorite programming language is X. Can I still use doxygen?

No, not as such; doxygen needs to understand the structure of what it reads.
If you don't mind spending some time on it, there are several options:

- If the grammar of X is close to C or C++, then it is probably not too hard
to tweak src/scanner.l a bit so the language is supported. This is done for
all other languages directly supported by doxygen (i.e. Java, IDL, C#, PHP).
- If the grammar of X is somewhat different than you can write an input filter
that translates X into something similar enough to C/C++ for doxygen to
understand (this approach is taken for VB, Object Pascal, and Javascript, see
http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/download.html#helpers).
- If the grammar is completely different one could write a parser for X and
write a backend that produces a similar syntax tree as is done by
src/scanner.l (and also by src/tagreader.cpp while reading tag files).

[1] http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/faq.html