[CMake] What is the VS10 .rule file generated for each ADD_CUSTOM_COMMAND?

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Mon Jun 27 14:19:05 EDT 2011

On 6/27/2011 11:57 AM, Gabriel Petrovay wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> I have no exception. I only know that Cmake generates a wrong Include
> attribute for a <CustomBuild> element (first in a series of cmake
> generated filed). This generated file also does not have a .rule file
> generated for it like for all the others in the loop.

If you could provide a small example that shows this issue, it would be
very helpful in fixing this for you.
> Where exactly is 2.8.5?

See Dave Cole's email to the cmake mailing list about 2.8.5 RC 3.
> http://www.cmake.org/cmake/resources/software.html
>
> I will also give it a try with 2.8.5 once I have it.
>

> In the meanwhile can you also please give me some details about the rule
> files? Thanks!
> 1. What is the rule file?
> 2. What is the logic by which this file is generated?

The custom commands in VS require that they are "hung" on a file.  It is
not sufficient to list inputs and outputs and create a rule.  With VS 7,
8, and 9, the .rule file did not need to exist.  VS 2010 does not run
rules that hang off of non-existent files. So, we have to actually
create the files...

-Bill