[CMake] How to deliver a source code package?

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 17:08:05 EDT 2011

2011/6/22 Dave Ohlsson <dave.ohlsson at gmail.com>:
> [Warning: I am a CMake beginner.]
>
> Hi,
>
> This must have been asked many times, but I can't find the answer...
> (I did look at the CMake FAQ.)
>
> If I use the autotools and I want to make a Linux source code
> distribution to a user who doesn't have the autotools installed, I
> ship him the source together with script configure. Then, he can run:
> $ ./configure
> $ make
> $ make install
>
> How is one supposed to deliver a source package to a user who doesn't
> have cmake installed?

If you use CMake as your build system you NEED cmake to build from source.
autotools suppose you have some bourne shell installed (for running
the configure script)
[which is hardly the case on Windows].
CMake suppose you have CMake.

> http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/cmake_tutorial.html#s6 contains a
> simple CMake example that uses CPack. I downloaded the source code
> (from http://public.kitware.com/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Tests/Tutorial/Step6/?root=CMake).
> The tutorial says:
>
>    "To create a source distribution you would type
>    cpack -C CPackSourceConfig.cmake"
>
> but when I run this command, I get a package
> (Tutorial-1.0.1-Linux.tar.gz) that contains these files:
> * bin/libMathFunctions.a
> * bin/Tutorial
> * include/MathFunctions.h
> * include/TutorialConfig.h
>
> Hardly a source distribution to me.

Send us your CMakeLists.txt, there is something odd here.

> I have Ubuntu, and cmake 2.8.0.

What happen if you do:

$ make package_source

--