[CMake] How to run tests in parallel?

Dave Ohlsson dave.ohlsson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 07:55:08 EDT 2011

Hi,

I am new to CMake.

I have a project with a few tests. The tests are independent from each
other (run in separate directories, etc.).

In my project's CMakeLists.txt, I have:

    enable_testing()
    add_test(NAME test1 COMMAND <some command 1>)
    add_test(NAME test2 COMMAND <some command 2>)
    add_test(NAME test3 COMMAND <some command 3>)

I can run the tests with this command (from the build directory):

    make test

This command runs all the tests SERIALLY, and they all pass.

Now, how could I run the tests IN PARALLEL?

I tried this:

    make -j4 test

and that:

    make -j 4 test

but the tests are run serially also with these commands.

Note that `make -j 4' builds the objects (.o files) in parallel
without problems. I have this problem only with tests.

I suppose I am missing something very obvious.

I use Linux.

-- dave