[CMake] Changing definitions at compile time

Andreas Naumann Andreas-Naumann at gmx.net
Tue Jun 14 15:12:11 EDT 2011

Am 14.06.2011 19:26, schrieb Michael Wild:
> On 06/14/2011 07:12 PM, Kfir Lavi wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 8:04 PM, Andreas Naumann
>> <Andreas-Naumann at gmx.net<mailto:Andreas-Naumann at gmx.net>>  wrote:
>>
>>      Am 14.06.2011 18:12, schrieb Kfir Lavi:
>>
>>>      Hi,
>>>      I need to compile the code twice. Once with -DA and once with -DB
>>>      My code look like this:
>>>      add_definitions(-DA)
>>>      add_library(${mylib_A} SHARED ${myfiles})
>>>      remove_definitions(-DA)
>>>
>>>      add_definitions(-DB)
>>>      add_library(${lib_B} SHARED ${myfiles})
>>>      remove_definitions(-DB)
>>>
>>>      What cmake does is to define A and then remove it, so in compile
>>>      time, there
>>>      is now definition of A or B.
>>>
>>>      How do I tell cmake that the remove needs to  be in compile time?
>>>
>>>      Regards,
>>>      Kfir
>>>
>>      You want to create two libraries A and B from the same sourcefiles
>>      ${myfiles}. The first one have to be compiled with -DA and the
>>      second one with -DB, haven't it?
>>
>>      So you could simply set the COMPILE_FLAGS property with
>>      add_library(A ${myfiles})
>>      add_library(B ${myfiles})
>>
>>      set_target_properties(A PROPERTIES COMPILE_FLAGS "-DA")
>>      set_target_properties(B PROPERTIES COMPILE_FLAGS "-DB")
>>
>>      Regards,
>>      Andreas
>>

>> Thanks,
>> This solved my problems.
>>
>> Again thanks,
>> Kfir
>>
> Except that COMPILE_FLAGS is the wrong property. You should use
> COMPILE_DEFINITIONS without the -D prefix.
>
> Michael

correct me, if I am wrong, but at
http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/cmake-2-8-docs.html#command:set_target_properties
there is no property "COMPILE_DEFINITIONS".

If I search through the documentation, I get to the target properties.

It seems to me, that COMPILE_DEFINITIONS can set only preprocessor
definitions like -DVAR=VALUE with
set_target_properties(targ PROPERTIES COMPILE_DEFINITIONS "VAR=VALUE").
But if I have a special compiler flag like
-flag:flag_value
I should use
set_target_properties(targ PROPERTIES COMPILE_FLAGS "-flag:flag_value")

?

Andreas