[CMake] Scanning dependencies of target xxx is very slow.

jianhua yujianhua1982 at 126.com
Sun Jun 5 23:28:48 EDT 2011

Hi Neundorf;

Thanks for your kindly response on this issue.

>Usually it is not that slow.
>Can you give us some more information ?
>Of how many files consists your target approximately ?
>Under which operating system ?
>Is it maybe on NFS or samba ?

I try to build a lib based on about 300 source files.
OS: Ubuntu 10.04 based on Oracle VM VirtualBox.
CMKAE: V 2.8.3

I use NFS,  files share between WinXP and VM VirtualBox, but I don't think it is root cause here, since if only using native Linux Ext3, the same, very slow to scan dependency.

Now I use make mylib/fast to go on, otherwise it will block undergoing process.

My question: which factors will cause it so low?

a) Bad design, header files dependency so much.
b) CMake  INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES, too many include?
d) ...

Thanks for your help.