[CMake] append command

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Thu Aug 11 17:56:54 EDT 2011

On 2011-08-11 17:35-0400 David Cole wrote:

> It's clear what you mean with the REGEX signatures, but I disagree about the optional nature of at least one input.
>
> In my experience, the lack of an input to one of these signatures usually means there's a typo in a dereferenced variable name, or the
> variable is unexpectedly empty.
>
> It may or may not be the same as the output variable... but I think it's a good thing when you get a CMake error in such a case, as is
> the case now. I hesitate to stop generating that error.

I assumed the CMake logic parser could distinguish by a count of
arguments between the case where the last <input> argument was missing
(i.e. nothing specified by the user) as opposed to the cases you
mention where there is something there such as a dereferenced
non-existent variable or variable that is unexpectedly empty.
However, if the parser cannot distinguish the non-existent last
argument case from all others, then I would sadly have to agree with
your conclusion that my idea should be rejected.  Because I do agree
you want to continue to generate CMake errors for the cases you
mention.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).