[CMake] VS2010 and superbuild - Fwd: [Ctk-developers] VS2010 support

Sascha Zelzer s.zelzer at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Tue Aug 2 16:36:20 EDT 2011

On 08/02/2011 01:28 PM, David Cole wrote:

> Thanks for this info... I've reproduced the problem now, too. I'm not
> sure what to do about it yet, but I can make it happen: that's the
> first step toward a fix.
>
> There should not be a need for an update step if you're snapped to
> particular hash or non-tracking branch/tag, though, should there? So,
> this seems like a contrived case to me.
Yes, I agree. As JC mentioned, we frequently use "GIT_TAG origin/master"
or similar, which leads to the problems. In most cases, the problems can
probably be circumvented.
> In the real project where this is happening, what git branch are you
> tracking that makes this a real problem...?

For CTK, we "cmakeified" a couple of projects, optionally patched them
and put the source code in a git repository under the github/commontk
organization. We then build these projects via ExternalProject_Add(...
GIT_TAG origin/patched ...) for example. So we already control which
commits are being used by controlling the "patched" branch. If we now
modify this branch, the already cloned repositories would be updated. I
feel that this is slightly more convenient than additionally (to
modifying the external project's repository) changing the SHA1 value in
the appropriate CMake script. But this is maybe personal taste.

Within MITK for example, we have two separate Git repositories. One
contains the open-source code and the second our internal research code.
We track the open-source repository via "GIT_TAG origin/master" and
people align their internal code by just building the "super-project"
(this is one possible workflow).

Thanks,

Sascha