[CMake] How to create a 64-bit Windows build of cmake?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 22:15:17 EDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 10:02 PM, John R. Cary <cary at txcorp.com> wrote:
> On 8/1/11 7:04 PM, John Drescher wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 8:34 PM, John R. Cary<cary at txcorp.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I believe I have followed what I have found on the web for
>>> building a Win64 version of CMake.  I have downloaded the
>>> win32 version and used it to configure the cmake source.
>>> I used the Visual Studio 9 2008 Win64 generator.
>>>
>> Last Friday I pulled in the cmake-git configured for 64 bit Visual
>> Studio 2010 and generated.
>
> Thanks!  I will try.  I found http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/CMake/Git.
> So then I did:
>
> git clone git://cmake.org/cmake.git CMake
> cd CMake
> git checkout -b release origin/release
>
> Where do I find "the cmake-git configured for 64 bit Visual
> Studio 2010"?

You need to use a 32 bit version of cmake to configure and generate.

Open up cmake-gui,
set the source folder to where you put the git.

set the binary folder to a location you want to build cmake. Note:
this should not be in the same folder as the source.

Then configure. cmake will ask you to select the compiler.

After this you want to build cmake-gui as well. There is a
configuration option for that. Also cmake probably will not find Qt so
you need to set the location of qmake to a 64 bit build of Qt. You
will most likely have to build that since nokia does not supply 64 bit
windows binaries.

Then generate.

This will create a visual studio project in the binary folder.

John