[CMake] VS2010 and superbuild - Fwd: [Ctk-developers] VS2010 support

Sascha Zelzer s.zelzer at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Mon Aug 1 17:59:20 EDT 2011

Hi,

I played around with the ExternalProject unit tests and was able to
reproduce my problem with the current HEAD ExternalProjects.cmake file.
It boils down to *not* adding the UPDATE_COMMAND "" line:

1.) In CMake/Tests/ExternalProject/CMakeLists.txt:487 remove (or comment
in) the UPDATE_COMMAND argument
2.) Build the "TutorialStep1-GIT-bytag" project with VisualStudio 2010
(I am using the Express Edition). You will get:

1>------ Rebuild All started: Project: TutorialStep1-GIT-bytag,
Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>  Creating directories for 'TutorialStep1-GIT-bytag'
1>  Building Custom Rule
C:/Development/git/CMake/Tests/ExternalProject/CMakeLists.txt
1>  CMake does not need to re-run because
C:\Development\build\ExternalProject-Test\CMakeFiles\generate.stamp is
up-to-date.
1>  Performing download step (git clone) for 'TutorialStep1-GIT-bytag'
1>  Cloning into TutorialStep1-GIT-bytag...
1>  done.
1>  Note: checking out 'origin/master'.
1>
1>  You are in 'detached HEAD' state. You can look around, make experimental
1>  changes and commit them, and you can discard any commits you make in
this
1>  state without impacting any branches by performing another checkout.
1>
1>  If you want to create a new branch to retain commits you create, you may
1>  do so (now or later) by using -b with the checkout command again.
Example:
1>
1>    git checkout -b new_branch_name
1>
1>  HEAD is now at d197073... Initial import into repo.
1>  Performing update step (git fetch) for 'TutorialStep1-GIT-bytag'
========== Rebuild All: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========

So all other steps after the update step are ignored.

In CTK, we rely on the default update command for git and it works in
Visual Studio 2008. Any ideas how to fix this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sascha