[CMake] set CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX in CMakeLists

Stephen Roderick kiwi.net at mac.com
Tue Nov 30 16:07:12 EST 2010

On Nov 30, 2010, at 16:03 , David Cole wrote:

> If we want this unintentional behavior to continue working as is into
> the future, we should add a test for this behavior and make the test
> fail if the value of CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX is not as expected at the
> bottom of CMakeLists...

I think it is a useful behavior to have. We use it within an enterprise environment to set a reasonable default, if the user hasn't specifically overridden it.  As one other commentor stated though, as a project developer (not CMake) you need to make this very obvious in case the user tries to figure out why something was installed somewhere (without the user telling it anything)!