[CMake] How to apply the --as-needed linker flag?

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Sat Nov 27 12:45:54 EST 2010

I just discovered that many Linux distros these days use the
--as-needed Linux linker option by default.  At first glance that
option makes a lot of sense since it tends to reduce startup times.
But I guess there are some caveats as well which is probably why CMake
does not adopt this linker option by default for Linux builds.
However, I would at least like to try this option for my own Linux
builds without forcing it using target_link_libraries. Is it possible
to specify linker options such as --as-needed using environment
variables and/or -D options?

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).