[CMake] providing library information, what's the cmake way

Johannes Zarl johannes.zarl at jku.at
Thu Nov 25 11:34:55 EST 2010

On Wednesday 24 November 2010 19:03:21 David Cole wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 12:58 PM, Tyler Roscoe <tyler at cryptio.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> Adding that information in the documentation would be good, I agree.
> >> (Although quite time consuming and costly for somebody...)
> >
> > Perhaps a good compromise is simply to add version information to all
> > new CMake commands/variables/properties that are added henceforth?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > tyler
>
> That does sound like a good idea.

From the information in http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_Released_Versions and
using some shell-scripts to create the diffs between all "neighbor-versions",
it's not too much work to create a compatibility matrix for the documented
features.

I took the liberty and compiled such a compatibility matrix here:
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_Version_Compatibility_Matrix

It's a draft and does not (yet) contain information about properties and
variables, but if this idea receives general consent I could complete the
information.

What do you think? Is this worth the effort, or would no one ever bother to
update the information?

cheers,
  Johannes