[CMake] Error using CMake 2.8.x, Visual Studio 2010, and multiple platform SDKs.

Ted Berg tberg at vivox.com
Wed Nov 24 17:02:06 EST 2010

I'm seeing a reproducible failure generating "Visual Studio 10" output
on a system with the following installed:

CMake 2.8.2
CMake 2.8.3

Visual Studio 2005
Visual Studio 2010

Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows
  v6.1
  v7.0A
  v7.1

To keep everything sane I use command files to set environment variables
as needed, beyond the compiler specific command windows.

In a VS 2010 command window, with an environment set to point at the
V7.0A platform SDK, I can reliably create and build NMake projects.  In
that same window CMake errors out at "Checking for working C compiler
using: Visual Studio 10", claiming a broken compiler.

Checking the CMakeFiles\CMakeErrors.log shows that while it's using the
correct CL.exe, the rc.exe from the v6.1 platform sdk is being used.
This rc.exe objects to the command line option "/nologo" somehow
interpreting it as "-ologo" and terminating with a fatal error.

If I move/rename the v6.1 platform sdk directory, CMake completes
without issue.

Is this a known issue, am I insane, or should I start assembling a
sample project and logs?

Ted

--
ID: 0x9AAE10A5              Keyserver: pool.sks-keyservers.net
Fingerprint: E79C 8FB2 D41D FCA3 410D 3D11 B5BD 5130 9AAE 10A5