[CMake] so lib symlinks

luxInteg lux-integ at btconnect.com
Fri Nov 19 08:35:22 EST 2010

Greetings,

I am learning cmake.  I practice using the   "add_library comand" as shown
below

set(serial "1.2.3")
add_library(testLIB SHARED testLIB.c)
set_target_properties(testLIB PROPERTIES VERSION ${serial} SOVERSION 1)
SET(CMAKE_INSTALL_LIBDIR lib CACHE PATH "Output directory for libraries")

the result is  in the ~/lib directory after install is the following:-

-----A----
libtestLIB.so   a symbolic-link  to  libtestLIB.so.1
libtestLIB.so.1   a symbolic-link  to  libtestLIB.so.1.2.3

which I think is the proper way according to this link.
(  http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Program-Library-HOWTO.html ).
 However it seems some programs do not  follow the symlinks  as I had unable
to open
libtestLIB.so.1 in one instance..   It is probably   the rest of the libraries
on  my setup has are like so:-

---B----
libtestLIB.so   a symbolic-link  to  libtestLIB.so.1.2.3
libtestLIB.so.1   a symbolic-link  to  libtestLIB.so.1.2.3

So advice would be appreciated on how  one  uses  set_target_properties  or
shared libraies to get  a setup as in ---B---.

luxInteg