[CMake] CPack general question and example

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 16:37:05 EST 2010

I just heard about CPack and started playing with it. I tried to make
an RPM of a simple VTK program:

http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake/CPackExample

When I run 'make package', I get an error:

CPack Error: Problem copying the package:
/home/doriad/CPackTest/bin/_CPack_Packages/Linux/RPM/DistanceBetweenPoints-0.1.1-Linux.rpm
to /home/doriad/CPackTest/bin/DistanceBetweenPoints-0.1.1-Linux.rpm
CPack Error: Error when generating package: DistanceBetweenPoints
make: *** [package] Error 1

If I leave out the
SET(CPACK_GENERATOR "RPM")
line, there are no errors, but the .tar.gz file that is created seems
to be empty. Am I missing something?

On a bigger question - what can I expect to be contained in the RPM?
EVERYTHING required to run my program (which will include all of VTK
(or at least the required bits?))? I'm just trying to get a handle on
when and why I would want to do this.

Thanks,

David