[CMake] header files with visual studio

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Mon Nov 15 09:50:48 EST 2010

On 11/14/2010 5:00 AM, Eric Noulard wrote:

> There has been some discussion on the list about improvement
> of the dependency scanner, this kind of idea may be examined there.
> May be it's worth filing a feature request on this subject.

I have not followed this too closely.  However, I thought might add a
few things. To date CMake does NOT run the dependency program at CMake
time, but rather at build time. In addition for the VS IDE it is NEVER
run, as VS does its own dependency scanning.   So, it would be a big
change for CMake to do this at CMake time.  My fear would be that it
would be VERY slow.  If this is to handle 5000 header files, I am
guessing the VS IDE would choke on loading them anyway.  For most C++
projects I working on there is a one to one mapping between C++ classes
in .cxx and class definitions in .h files.  So, you usually add the .h
when you add the .cxx, your you could even have a macro that adds both
automatically.  However, a scanner that auto-adds the .h files seems a
bit heavy handed, and would have serious performance issues.

-Bill