[CMake] CPACK_MONOLITHIC_INSTALL not handled at runtime?

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 05:29:30 EST 2010

Hi All,

I'm working on CPackRPM for supporting componentized RPM:
(preliminary support has been pushed to next yesterday)

then another CPack-component related bug appeared:

So I think that

1) May be generating a componentized installer "by default" was a mistake
    for compatibility reason? YES/NO

2) User should have a way to request non-componentized package
    even for component-aware CPack Generator.
    I though CPACK_MONOLITHIC_INSTALL was usable but it is not
    as (I think) it should because it is only evaluted AT CMake-time
    even it would still be useful AT CPack-time.

    Meaning:

   a) if CPACK_MONOLITHIC_INSTALL is set at CMake-time
        ALL CPack generator will produce non-component package

   b) if CPACK_MONOLITHIC_INSTALL is set at CPack time
       (but not at CMake-time) only the concerned generator may
       generate non-component install.

So my question is twofold:

1) Shall we step back and may be setup a CMake policy for
    enabling component installer?
    If we go for a policy may be someone can help me with this
    because I did never add a new policy mayself.

2) Shall I propose a patch for supporting 2b) or is there something
    I miss regarding this issue?

--
Erk
http://www.april.org