[CMake] Bug fix requests for the *next* release of CMake...

Philip Lowman philip at yhbt.com
Tue Nov 9 07:41:31 EST 2010

On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 8:29 PM, Luigi Calori <l.calori at cineca.it> wrote:

>  On 07/11/2010 21.01, Philip Lowman wrote:
>
> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 12:08 PM, Luigi Calori <l.calori at cineca.it> wrote:
>
>>  +1 for FindBoost support to "CMakeified" version of Boost at "
>>> http://gitorious.org/~denisarnaud/boost/denisarnauds-zeuners-boost-cmake/commits/1.44.0-denis<http://gitorious.org/%7Edenisarnaud/boost/denisarnauds-zeuners-boost-cmake/commits/1.44.0-denis>
>>> ":
>>

>  Luigi,
>
>  Does the "CMakeified" version of Boost still not produce build outputs
> that match bjam by default?  I remember when I looked at it a year or two
> ago there appeared to be only minor issues with the library names.  I would
> have hoped that these issues would have been resolved by now.
>
> I just tried the build with cmake 2.8.2  under MSVC9 using release build
> and static linking:
> There seem to be a minor inconsistency: when building Boost with cmake the
> static libs do not have the prefix "lib" so boost the auto-linking fails.
> I have resolved by
>
> 1) when building boos, configure with -DLIBPREFIX=lib,
>
> 2) configure the project that search for boost with
> -DBoost_USE_STATIC_LIBS=ON
>
> During the installation step of "cmakefied" boost,  Boost.cmake config
> files get installed but not sure if FindBoost use it
>
> I' m not sure if this can be solved in FindBoost, but was just raising
> attention on a (for me) much better build system for Boost

Luigi,

Thanks for the additional information.  It sounds like a bug in the CMake
build system for Boost.  On WIN32 (but not CYGWIN) it should create static
boost libraries with the lib prefix and shared boost libraries without it to
match the long-established Boost/bjam conventions.  This allows static &
shared libraries to exist alongside each other in the lib folder since
otherwise their filenames would collide.

--
Philip Lowman