[CMake] Setting up CMake for Windows projects

Stormwind Developer stormwind.dev at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 8 16:09:49 EST 2010

Greetings,

I am a complete beginner to CMake, so my problem might be trivial.
Nevertheless I did not find a solution yet.

I am running Windows XP in a virtual machine on a linux host system.
Having CMake 2.6.4 installed I tried to run CMakeLists.txt from a
project I downloaded.

My problem is, that CMake fails with message logs like this one:
Check for working C compiler: E:/Programme/Microsoft Visual Studio
10.0/VC/bin/cl.exe
Check for working C compiler: E:/Programme/Microsoft Visual Studio
10.0/VC/bin/cl.exe -- broken
CMake Error at E:/Programme/CMake
2.6/share/cmake-2.6/Modules/CMakeTestCCompiler.cmake:32 (MESSAGE):
   The C compiler "E:/Programme/Microsoft Visual Studio
10.0/VC/bin/cl.exe" is
   not able to compile a simple test program.

   It fails with the following output:

    Change Dir: F:/bin/mygui/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

   Run Build Command:E:\PROGRA~1\CMAKE2~1.6\bin\cmake.exe
   CMAKE_TRY_COMPILE.sln /build Debug /project cmTryCompileExec

   CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
   CMakeLists.txt:12 (project)

Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

I use Visual Studio 2010 for my project, so I specified the path to
cl.exe as shown in the log. As value for CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM I used the
path to cmake.exe

Can anybody explain to me how to understand the log? Of course I checked
all paths and F:/bin/mygui/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp does exist. I don't know
how to continue.

Regards

Michael