[CMake] call already made makefile

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Thu Nov 4 18:41:08 EDT 2010

On 2010-11-04 11:58-0700 mina adel wrote:

> Thank you so much for your help
>
> I have another problem, I have successfully created all the 3rd-party libraries.
> I used ADD_CUSTOM_COMMAND to call the makefiles that are provided using these libraries.
>
> Now, I want to combine all these libraries to one library. I will link against this library
> later.
> I have searched google and cmake wiki. it seems that there is no straight forward way to do
> that.
>
> one suggested using ar command to combine the files.
>
> what is the vest way to merge all these [make-built] libraries in one library.

Switch to using CMake to configure Makefiles rather than using
3rd-party generated Makefiles.  Once you have switched completely to
CMake, that gives you complete control of which source code files are
compiled into which libraries, i.e., you will have complete control of
the organization of your libraries.  For example, if you want to use
a giant library (not necessarily the best organization, by the way), then
accumulate a list of all the relevant source files then, e.g.,

add_library(giant_library ${giant_library_src_LIST})

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).