[CMake] Solution folder property does not work for external projects in cmake 2.8.3

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Thu Nov 4 06:10:24 EDT 2010

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 5:36 AM, Jens Auer <jensa at miltenyibiotec.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just downloaded the new cmake 2.8.3 release and found a bug. We
> include several external VC++ projects in our solution and group them
> into folders using the old SOLUTION_FOLDER patch. When I checked the new
> property FOLDER in cmake 2.8.3, it turns out that it works for all
> projects except those included by include_external_msproject. When you
> modify the following example to point to an existing .vcproj-file and
> open the generated solution in visual studio 2005, only the custom
> target will be found in folder1/folder2:
>
> set_property(GLOBAL PROPERTY USE_FOLDERS On)
> cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8.3)
> project(project)
> include_external_msproject(externalProject
> <PATH_TO_SOME_EXTERNAL_VCPROJ_FILE>)
> set_target_properties(externalProject PROPERTIES FOLDER folder1/folder2)
> add_custom_target(infolder)
> set_target_properties(infolder PROPERTIES FOLDER folder1/folder2)
>
> I also had to put the set_property in the first line of the file to
> activate solution folders support, setting it after the
> cmake_minimum_required did not turn the support on. I don't know if this
> is intended or not.
>
> Best regards,
>  Jens

Thanks for the report. Too bad you didn't find this issue with the rc1
release 6 weeks ago. I'll work on getting a fix into CMake 'next' for
this.

We have a test that uses the new FOLDER property and one that uses
include_external_msproject ....... but not for the combination, and
not for whether things are actually grouped correctly. I'd like to add
a test like that as part of the fix.

Presently, if the generated FOLDER structure is incorrect, our
automated testing will not currently catch an error of that sort. Does
anybody have a good idea for how to verify the correctness of the
generated solution file? Right now it requires manual inspection of
the VS GUI to determine whether the result is correct or not.

Thanks again,
David Cole