[CMake] One last try

Gerry Weaver gerryw at compvia.com
Mon Jun 21 03:02:24 EDT 2010

Hello All,

I've been using cmake for many years. I must admit that I have always been somewhat bothered by the complexity of it, but it hasn't really become an issue until now. When Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 came out, I upgraded in order to get some new apis I needed. When I tried a cmake based build with this new compiler, it failed with problems finding sdk libs and various resource files. I fiddled with it for a couple of days, but could not get it to work. I also spent some time searching the Internet for a solution to my problem with no luck. All I could find was some very basic responses regarding vsvars32.bat etc. I then punted and used the Borland compiler instead. I am now facing the same situation again. I need to use Visual Studio 2008 on another project. Unfortunately, I cannot use Borland this time because the libs I need will not compile under the Borland compiler. I started with a clean machine, executed the vsvars32.bat and got the same exact problem I had before. I searched the Internet again thinking surely this problem had been resolved, but apparently it hasn't. I don't feel very comfortable in investing several days hacking up cmake to get this to work. This all leads me to the following questions.

1. Is cmake supposed to support Visual Studio 2008 out of the box?
2. If not, is there support for Visual Studio 2010?
3. If not, is there a patch or fix for either of the above?

cmake 2.8.1
msvc 2008
winxp sp4
Nmake Makefiles