[CMake] CMake 2.8.2 RC1 <-> Visual Studio Express

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Wed Jun 16 06:56:51 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 1:26 AM, Micha Renner <Micha.Renner at t-online.de>wrote:

> There still some problems with the Express version of VS
> I started the gui-version of CMake and generated the solution files
> (empty build directory). No errors.
>
> First run in the IDE generates a lot of CMake errors (see appendix).

CMake should not have to re-run during a build like this... Is your project
available as open source so that we can download it and try it here? Or
could you send me a zip of your source tree off-list, if possible? There
must be something else going on with the CMake files in this project to see
a result like this.

> Another hit on the F7 key: Most errors are gone.
> Okay, I can live with this, others may be not.
>
> A bad point is what happens, if there is change in the script files.
> - the IDE saves all files (ok)
> - CMake starts (ok)
> - the compiler/linker starts and works with the old solution files
> - the new generated solution files are loaded in the IDE (too late).
>
> The problems with the filter-files are gone, very good, but there are
> still the problems with the reloading of solution files if they are not
> changed. I know this is an old problem, but it still exists.

Since Visual Studio Express does not support macros, the
auto-reload-during-build macros that CMake supplies are not involved in this
scenario. Because of this fact, the workflow of "staying in the native build
tool" after the first CMake run is never going to work well with the Express
editions of VS. This old problem is still going to exist, and it's just
going to get older.

Therefore, I would strongly recommend exiting VS Express prior to running
CMake, running cmake or cmake-gui standalone without VS Express running, and
then re-launching VS Express to build.

Or: upgrade to a paid version of VS so that the macros have a chance to
work.

HTH,
David