[CMake] CTest: Any way around the "one test == one program invocation" assumption?

Chris Hillery chillery-cmake at lambda.nu
Tue Jun 8 00:40:56 EDT 2010

I asked this question in a followup on the CDash mailing list the other day,
but it's really not strictly a CDash question so I'll toss it here too.

There are a number of situations where I would like a single test program to
perform a number of tests (in one case, nearly 20,000). I'm wondering if
there's any way to make CTest see this as more than one test. I'm
particularly interested in having the results uploaded to CDash in a useful
fashion - individual test success/failure, maybe even separate test output
and timing information. It would also be nice if running ctest locally at
least displayed the list of failed tests. (I'm not expecting things like
"ctest -R <regexp>" to work right.) I have complete control over the test
program and can make it output whatever I want.

Has anyone ever tried this?

Failing that, how difficult would it be to generate CDash-compatible XML
output from my testdriver? And how would I go about uploading those results?

Ceej
aka Chris Hillery