[CMake] Generator for NetBeans 6.9

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Tue Jun 1 08:55:46 EDT 2010

On 5/31/2010 4:19 AM, Sebastian Meier wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
>> Can NetBeans be driven from the command line?  That is a requirement for
>> getting try_compile to work.
>
> No, I don't think it is possible call NetBeans via command line in
order to build targets. But since NetBeans relies on external tool
chains like gcc, MinGW or CygWin, is this really necessary?

Yes, this is a requirement.   The build must be able to be automated for
a variety of reasons.  I would be surprised if this were not supported
in some way.   How would one do automated testing?   In the case of
CMake for a full generator it is needed for:

1. try-compile to work, CMake must be able to try small bits of code to
do platform inspection.
2. ctest needs this to run builds and tests
3. cmake --build needs it
4. external project needs this to work

If it is not supported, then you should use the makefile approach.

-Bill