[CMake] How to regenerate source file during make?

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Fri Jan 15 10:36:39 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Marcel Loose <loose at astron.nl> wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-01-15 at 10:07 -0500, David Cole wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Marcel Loose <loose at astron.nl> wrote:
> >         Hi Jack,
> >
> >         The difference with your and my case is that you have an input
> >         file
> >         (the .xsd file) and output files (the .h and .cpp files). In
> >         my case I
> >         generate the output file, e.g. myheader.h, from myheader.h.in,
> >         using
> >         configure_file(). The problem is that I cannot get this to
> >         work during
> >         'make', only during 'cmake'.
> >
> >         Best regards,
> >         Marcel Loose.
> >
> >         On Fri, 2010-01-15 at 15:04 +0100, Smith Jack (Ext. - UGIS -
> >         UniCredit
> >
> >         Group) wrote:
> >         > I do a similar thing with an XSD file from which I generate
> >         c++
> >         wrapper classes for accessing the corresponding XML
> >         >
> >         > Note the DEPENDS line !
> >         >
> >         > MACRO(XSD FILE NAMESPACE)
> >         >     ADD_CUSTOM_COMMAND(
> >         >         OUTPUT  ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/xml/${FILE}.cpp
> >         >         OUTPUT  ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/xml/${FILE}.h
> >         >         DEPENDS ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/xml/${FILE}.xsd
> >         >         COMMAND ${XAPI_CODESYNTH}/bin/xsd
> >         >         ARGS cxx-tree --generate-serialization
> >         --hxx-suffix .h
> >         --cxx-suffix .cpp --fwd-suffix -fwd.hxx --type-naming java
> >         --function-naming java --namespace-map =${NAMESPACE}
> >         --generate-polymorphic --output-dir
> >         ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/xml
> >         ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/xml/${FILE}.xsd
> >         >         COMMENT "generating Codesynthesis Wrappers")
> >         > ENDMACRO(XSD)
> >         >
> >         >
> >         >

Yes. Put the configure_file call into a cmake -P script. Then use
add_custom_command to call it, passing all the variables required with -D
args before the -P arg.

Sounds like you'll need to run svn status and svn info *always* and then run
this command afterwards *if* something is different than last time it ran...

HTH,
David