[CMake] Running tests as part of a build

Gavin Heavyside gavin.heavyside at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 15:08:26 EST 2010

2010/1/10 Dmytro Ovdiienko <dmitriy.ovdienko at gmail.com>

> Gavin,
>
> Good practice is to run as much tests as possible and do not stop on first
> failed test.

Hi Dmytro,

Thank you for your advice.  For integration or overnight build testing I
absolutely agree, and that is where I could use "make test" to run full
tests for all components.  Running tests by default is primarily to
influence day-to-day development behaviour.

I try to practise test-driven development, and when I type make I'm usually
only interested in the tests related to the component I'm currently working
on. These tests have to complete quickly to avoid interrupting my
concentration.  Running just the test suite for a changed component when I
type make works great for me.

When I say "a failing test causes a failing build", what I actually mean is
one or more failures from the test program I invoke causes a failing build.
 This might be several individual unit test failures; Google Test runs all
tests in a suite before reporting a summary.

Thanks very much,

Gavin