[CMake] FindCUDA with ITK

James Bigler jamesbigler at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 14:45:17 EST 2010

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 11:00 PM, Luke Parkinson <lparkinson at vpac.org> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I apologise in advance if this is the wrong way to revive an old topic, but
> I wasn't sure how to reply to old threads in the mailing list and I'm new to
> this list.  I'm part of a team of developers looking at integrating CUDA
> into the Insight Toolkit (http://www.itk.org/). People subscribing to the
> mailing list over there might have heard from my colleague.
>
> Thanks to James Bigler and his FindCUDA.cmake module, we have been able to
> get CUDA and ITK to link into the executable, but we're having a similar
> problem to the previous post (included below just in case).  I have created
> several 'build environments' using this module with my own modifications
> that include the SDK (as an aside, can anyone point me in the direction of
> code that integrates C++ and CUDA without using cutil.h or cutil_inline.h?).
>  It works brilliantly with just the CUDA SDK, and the SDK plus our own C++
> CUDA utility programs, but when we include the ITK in the configuration,
> building gives errors exactly like those above.  I've attached my
> modifications to the FindCUDA.cmake module (with a diff), and the
> 'CMakeLists.txt's we're using in the root and source directories.
>
> We got the original FindCUDA.cmake from the svn repository, and based our
> code on the driver examples. When we add our own CUDA/C++ code (files
> omitted as code is still under development, permission is required), we get
> the same errors as mentioned previously, along the lines of 'warning:
> comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions'.

Just including ITK (without our own code, using the provided driver code
> examples)
> [Attached the corresponding files as ITKOnly_FindCUDA.cmake,
> ITKOnly_root_CMakeLists.txt, ITKOnly_src_CMakeLists.txt]
>
> Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.  This isn't crippling (only
> warnings), but it is annoying and could lead to problems later on if it has
> to do with how the CMake module deals with C/C++ code.  I also noticed with
> that same module that there are a few variables that don't seem to do
> anything.  The example I found was CUDA_INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES (deprecated by
> CUDA_INCLUDE_DIRS?).  I assume that svn version was the most up-to-date,
> please let me know if I am wrong.

snip...

What versions of CUDA are you using?  2.3 or a 3.0 beta?

Also, could you send the output of 'make VERBOSE=1' with CUDA_NVCC_FLAGS=-v
for a single object compilation that has these warning?  I would like to
determine at which point these flags are causing problems.

You could also attach (if possible) the cmake build script that is invoked
by FindCUDA for the same object?

Also, please make sure that CUDA_HOST_COMPILATION_CPP is ON (this can also
be verified by me with the cuda_compile....cmake file you can attach).

There is also the CUDA_PROPAGATE_HOST_FLAGS that you could turn off, if you
wish to manage all the host flag propagation manually by using the OPTION
-Xcompiler combination.

James