[CMake] CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS not a list?

Gregory Peele ARA/CFD gpeele at ara.com
Wed Jan 6 14:18:25 EST 2010

Hey all,

When tracking down why some custom linker flags weren't working right, I realized that CMAKE_EXE_LINKER flags (and its cousins for shared libraries) are not semicolon delimited lists but rather treat the flags as a single space-delimited string.  I also saw the closed bug report at http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=7476 related to this issue.

I have adjusted my CMakeLists to work correctly given this behavior, but I'm wondering why this is the case, as the variable is semantically a list of linker arguments and I would intuitively expect the LIST commands to work properly with it.  Is it because it eventually gets stored in a target property which does not support list values?

Thanks,
Gregory Peele, Jr.
Applied Research Associates, Inc.