[CMake] Cmake v2.8.0 ported to OS/2 - a question on DLL creation

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Wed Jan 6 12:43:44 EST 2010

Paul Smedley wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Whilst it still needs more testing and the diffs definitely need
> tidying up, I've created an OS/2 port of cmake 2.8.0 - which is
> available for download from my site at http://os2ports.smedley.info
>
> The actual diffs + os2.cmake file can be downloaded from
> http://smedley.info/cmake-2.8.0-os2-patches.zip
>
> One question - OS/2 has a limitation for shared libraries that they
> must have 8.3 filenames - can anyone think of a way to make this
> happen automagically in cmake?
>
> I was thinking of some kind of check for shared library name > 8
> charaters long, then mangle a new name using some combination of the
> first xxx characters of the requested name, and the last yyy
> characters of the requested name to try and make sure the DLL name is
> unique.

That might work....   Another possibility is to leave this up to the
project.  CMake could just warn and say you need to set a OUTPUT name on
target N for this to work on OS/2.   I would imagine that there would be
other changes for a project if you were porting to OS/2.

This is interesting work, I would be interested in incorporating it into
CMake if you were willing to run a nightly OS/2 dashboard.  Would you be
willing to do that?

-Bill

--
Bill Hoffman