[CMake] Creating a new platform configuration

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Mon Nov 9 16:23:40 EST 2009

On Monday 09 November 2009, Ingolf Steinbach wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to create cmake configuration files for an embedded
> target. From the cmake documentation I did not yet find answers to the
> following questions:
>
> 1. What are the minimum settings required in a platform file?
> 2. What should the partitioning between platform and toolchain file look
> like  3. Is it possible to have  a platform file within the source tree
> (i.e. how can I instruct cmake to take the appropriate platform file
> (resulting from the toolchain) from my source tree)?

Setting CMAKE_MODULE_PATH should do it.

> 4. While the host is a linux system, the target differs quite
> significantly from UNIX like environments (for instance there is no
> file system involved). Nevertheless, I'd like to have the cross gcc
> create .o files (rather than .c.obj) -- how can this be achieved?

I'd suggest you take a look at Modules/eCos.cmake (a free RTOS, one statically
linked binary image), Generic.cmake (no OS at all) and maybe Catamount.cmake
(used on supercomputers, but as a simple embedded OS, no shared libs, etc.).
All three are systems which are only very basic (or no) operating systems.

Alex