[CMake] Factoring out "third-party-dependent" commands and modules.

Alpha Omega cdiddca at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 16:31:57 EDT 2009

Are there any plans to factor language and framework dependent
commands out of cmake into plugins ? And modules into separate
packages/repository ? To me, the fact that cmake source is infested
with toolkit, ide, language names looks quite ugly. What will happen
if cmake gains 90% popularity ? 60mb source archive with, and 10mb
static executable, with stuff for every  language/framework etc ?

The distinction between kitware supported modules, and third-party
ones is not quite pleasing either. That could lead to several versions
of the same thing floating around (in third-party category), causing
confusion for users . User doesn't know where to go for
community-recognized module. I think repository and community review
process is needed.