[CMake] Regression between 2.4.8 and 2.6.2 for the macada version of the gcc compiler

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Wed Jan 28 21:31:13 EST 2009

On 2009-01-29 00:31+0100 Martin Costabel wrote:

> Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> []
>> Is there a better gcc option then -v to find out the _actual_ linker being
>> used?
>
> Use -Wl,-v :-)

Thanks very much for that suggestion.  It works like a charm on Linux. I
have passed it on to the macada gcc user, and I will get back to you with
his response.

> On 10.4, if you run gcc -dynamiclib, the linking is managed by
> /usr/bin/libtool which in turn calls /usr/bin/ld, and /usr/bin/libtool
> understands the -current_version flag. On the other hand, /usr/bin/ld does
> not understand "-current_version", it wants "-dylib_current_version", which
> it gets fed by /usr/bin/libtool, but "-dylib_current_version" is not
> understood by /usr/bin/libtool. Clear? ;-)

I am afraid that actually makes sense to me.  :-)  It must be too many
years using libtool.

> I suspect the ada/gcc compiler calls ld directly without passing through
> /usr/bin/libtool. If this is true, changing "-current_version" to
> "-dylib_current_version" should solve the problem. But this won't work for
> Apple's /usr/bin/gcc on 10.4.
>
> On 10.5, gcc -dynamiclib calls collect2 which calls ld, and both collect2 and
> /usr/bin/ld understand both "-dylib_current_version" and "-current_version".

Thanks for the -dylib_current_version idea which I will also encourage the
macada gcc user to try.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).