[CMake] open source project for CMake ports?

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 16:26:47 EST 2009

2009/2/16 Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman at kitware.com>:
> Philip Lowman wrote:
>>
>> A tertiary goal would be convincing the 3rd party dependencies to switch
>> to CMake for their native build systems.

I don't really like the "propaganda" idea :-)

Particularly for Open Source projects.

Open Source is about choice and openess.

I don't want to contribute to a voluntary CMake conversion.
However I'll be glad (as usual) to help anyone requesting for help with CMake.

>> Does this sound interesting?
>>
> I think it might be more interesting to start a campaign to push the cmake
> files into those projects.

If someone propose the cmake files to the project it's different, it's a
potential project contribution :-)

> Why shouldn't jpg,tiff,zlib, and friends not ship with good cmake files.

Because may be currently they don't need it?

> I guess if something like what you suggest was
> created, it might push the developers of those projects to accept the CMake
> files to avoid the partial fork in the project...

I'm not so sure that a project woul'd be forked because its build system
is not cmake, even if valuable cmake user do "fork" because they need
a cmake-ified version of the project.

My 2 cents about freedom.

--
Erk