[CMake] open source project for CMake ports?

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Tue Feb 17 14:15:41 EST 2009

BRM wrote:
> I read through this thread, and I think there may be a better route -
>
> Instead of trying to create all kinds of patches, etc; why not make a
> simple tool to convert an autotool project to CMake and vice-versa?
> Perhaps call it 'autotool2cmake'?
>
> This way, the process becomes simpler:
>
> 1) Download source
> 2) Run tool to convert to CMake (or vice versa)
> 3) Compile on

Sounds good, but I don't think it would be possible to write a
translator that worked.  A tool might be able to get 90% of the projects
95% of the way there, but I don't think you could have a tool that
worked 100% of the way from an arbitrary autotools project to a cmake
project.  BTW, this discussion has been on this list before... :)

But, hey, if you can prove me wrong and create the perfect translator, I
would be happy to use/promote it... :)

-Bill