[CMake] open source project for CMake ports?

Luigi Calori l.calori at cineca.it
Mon Feb 16 18:41:10 EST 2009

Alexander Neundorf ha scritto:
> On Monday 16 February 2009, Philip Lowman wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Luigi suggested a kind of CMake ports system in a recent thread here on the
>> CMake mailing list.  This would presumably be a system whereby popular 3rd
>> party dependencies which have not yet CMakeified their source trees could
>> be CM'd and baselined in one place and ultimately downloaded for easy
>> incorporation into CMake projects (especially with a goal towards
>> MSVC/MinGW portability).  VTK seems to be doing this internally for several
>> of it's dependencies and the OSG project seems interested in doing the same
>> for similar reasons but would prefer not to duplicate a bunch of work.
>>

> I think also the KDE-on-Windows developer cmakeified a few projects.

I' ve checked out the project, it is really inetresting, I' ve tried
their emerge utility (a kind of a port of the Gentoo portage tools on
windows)
It seems it is able to keep a list of packeges and their dependencies
and can handle different compiler platforms like mingw, msvc8, msvc9
Regarding CMake, it use it for some libs but not all (libcurl,libjasper
is built with cmake, tiff, and jpeg seems not).

>> Since many of the dependencies overlap, is there general interest in this
>> kind of a thing from the VTK perspective or from others?
>>
>> The goal would be to create an open-source project (hosted probably at a
>> neutral site like SF.net or Google Code) where the ports could be stored,
>> baselined, etc. and then released so that anyone could download whichever
>> are needed and incorporate them into their own projects?  Export/Install
>>

> You suggest to keep a whole copy of these projects there, not only the build
> files, right ?

KDE-on-Windows keeps the cmake separated, in the package definition, that keep the url to where get thezipped source.
The process is then to get, uncompress, patch ,configure, build and install.
These step are described and implemented in python scripts. It seems that the CMakeList are added in the expanded package.

In my attempt to provide basic dependencies for OpenSceneGraph, I used a similar approach.
I kept the cmake in a completely separated place, developed  cmake code for download and expansion.

>  this current, i.e. they will more or less quickly
> become out-of-date (happened to me with python).

I do not see value in keeping sources (as VTK does) apart from avoid the
download-expand step.
If the cmake scripts use glob rex expr to get source files, it should be
quite resilient to project change and should be easier to mantain.
I think that having cmake  support for download,unpack and patch would
really help.

Thanks
               Luigi