[CMake] MSVC7.1 static link question

Luigi Calori l.calori at cineca.it
Thu Feb 12 13:03:55 EST 2009

Bill Hoffman ha scritto:
> Luigi Calori wrote:
>
>> I' ma bit confused, just to make clear: the proposed import method
>> are used in the  final projects that USES the libraries.
>> by install(EXPORT) the needed code is hidden in a config--baz--cmake
>> file that is evaluated inby the final project tha so does not have to
>> rely on FindBAZ script.
>> But effectively this is just a way to hide the fact that  the final
>> project  links to both libbaz and libbar
>>
>> The specification of dependency lib as a STATIC_LIBRARY_FLAGS produce
>> a bigger library tha has both baz and bar, and can be used straight,
>> at least under VS7.1
>>
>> I appreciate the IMPORT and EXPORT stuff and will try to use that
>> (could we use that also for the whole OpenSceneGraph itself ? what do
>> you think Philip?)
>> Nevertheless the STATIC_LIBRARY_FLAGS seems much simpler
>
> But not as portable.  The IMPORT/EXPORT will work cross platform and
> with many different compilers.
>
> -Bill

Ok, understood, thanks a lot to everyone: I' ll try to look at
IMPORT/EXPORT.
Are there project examples available:
It would really be nice to have CMake projects for libraries.
I' m trying to build cmake projects for jpeg,tiff and png libs, as I' m
working in VS7.1 and not finding projects for this platform.
Are any plans for providing CMake based source packages? People that are
working on kde on windows how do they build their deps?
Thanks again
                     Luigi