[CMake] FIND_PROGRAM() behavior

Bill Spotz wfspotz at sandia.gov
Sat Feb 7 11:13:00 EST 2009

Ah, I think I (sort of) see the problem.  Running from the command
line, I pick up /sw/bin/python like I hope.  Running the Mac OS X GUI,
I get the unexpected behavior.  But I still don't understand the GUI
behavior.

Thanks.

On Feb 7, 2009, at 9:06 AM, Michael Wild wrote:

> Have you tried using the following?
>
> find_program( PYTHON_EXECUTABLE python PATHS ENV PATH )
>
> Works for me as advertised.
>

> Michael
>
> On 6. Feb, 2009, at 20:47, Bill Spotz wrote:
>
>> No.  /sw/bin/python is a symlink to /sw/bin/python2.5, which is an
>> executable.  The /sw directory is where, on Darwin, the fink project
>> installs software (debian-style) by default.
>>
>> On Feb 6, 2009, at 12:54 PM, David Cole wrote:
>>
>>> Is /sw/bin/python a symlink to /usr/bin/python?
>>>

>>> On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Bill Spotz <wfspotz at sandia.gov>
>>> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Because FIND_PACKAGE(PythonInterp) wasn't behaving exactly the way I
>>> wanted it to, I was playing around with the following (at the very
>>> beginning of my CMakeLists.txt file):
>>>
>>> FIND_PROGRAM(PYTHON_EXECUTABLE python)
>>> MESSAGE("PYTHON_EXECUTABLE is " ${PYTHON_EXECUTABLE})
>>> FIND_PROGRAM(SWIG_EXECUTABLE swig)
>>> MESSAGE("SWIG_EXECUTABLE is " ${SWIG_EXECUTABLE})
>>>
>>> On my system, the following executables exist:
>>>
>>> /sw/bin/python
>>> /usr/bin/python
>>> /sw/bin/swig
>>> /usr/bin/swig
>>>
>>> and /sw/bin comes first in my PATH environment variable.  I would
>>> expect to get the same paths to both python and swig, but I don't.
>>> Instead, I get the output
>>>
>>> PYTHON_EXECUTABLE is /usr/bin/python
>>> SWIG_EXECUTABLE is /sw/bin/swig
>>>
>>> I make sure to delete my cache file before running cmake, so I don't
>>> think it is a caching issue.  Why else might it behave like this?
>>>
>>> Thanks

** Bill Spotz                                              **
** Sandia National Laboratories  Voice: (505)845-0170      **
** P.O. Box 5800                 Fax:   (505)284-0154      **
** Albuquerque, NM 87185-0370    Email: wfspotz at sandia.gov **