[CMake] Error at FindKDE3.cmake: "mode MATCH needs at least 5 arguments"

Alexander Thomas alexander.thomas at esat.kuleuven.be
Tue Feb 3 07:56:08 EST 2009

I have a project which uses Qt3, with a CMakeLists.txt containing these
lines:

find_package(Qt3 REQUIRED) # find and setup Qt3 for this project
find_package(KDE3 REQUIRED) # for kde3_automoc
add_definitions(${QT_DEFINITIONS} ${KDE3_DEFINITIONS})

This has worked fine for years, but when I now try to do a 'configure'
in ccmake, I get this error:

  CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindKDE3.cmake:109 (STRING):
    string sub-command REGEX, mode MATCH needs at least 5 arguments
total to command.
  Call Stack (most recent call first):
    CMakeLists.txt:10 (find_package)

That specific line in that file looks like this:
    STRING(REGEX MATCH "KDE: .\\." kde_version ${kde_config_version})

This is on Fedora 10, and there has been a system update last night. It
is possible that something went wrong during that update, because the
machine crashed when I tried to log in.
What could be the cause of that error, and how can it be fixed?

Alexander