[CMake] the switch to subversion?

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Tue Sep 23 12:21:47 EDT 2008

Mathieu Malaterre wrote:

> svn 'external' links to repositories (not tested). Do not know what is
> the default behavior for branching...

Yup, but there are issues with that.  For one thing you can not do an
atomic commit from the top of the tree and have it go into the sub
project correctly.

 From here:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.advanced.externals.html

"The support that exists for externals definitions in Subversion remains
less than ideal, though. ... And Subversion still truly operates only on
nondisjoint working copies. So, for example, if you want to commit
changes that you've made in one or more of those external working
copies, you must run svn commit explicitly on those working
copies—committing on the primary working copy will not recurse into any
external ones."

Also, it would mean converting ITK, VTK, ParaView and CMake all at the
same time....

So what we need is a way to bridge CVS to SVN until all projects have
been moved.  And we need to figure out a way to deal with the external
stuff in a way that works.   Basically, it is a bunch of work for us to
move...  I am not saying we won't, but there are still details to work out.

-Bill