[CMake] the switch to subversion?

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Tue Sep 23 12:03:49 EDT 2008

Mike Arthur wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 September 2008 16:19:05 Michael Wild wrote:
>> git rocks! ;-)
> I agree but not everyone is happy using the console for their VCS. You move to
> git and you alienate said people. Subversion, on the other hand, has a lots of
> GUI tools available for such folks.

Lets not have the git/cvs/svn discussion we had in January...  Here is
the thread if someone wants to read it:

http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2008-January/018976.html

We (Kitware) have issues with moving to svn (or any other VCS) because
of the way we have abused cvs.  We use symbolic links on the server side
to "share" kwsys with several projects.  To date we have not yet found a
good way to do this from svn.  git is pretty much a show stopper because
of the poor windows support it currently has.  However, I have been told
that git can easily track an svn repository.

-Bill