[CMake] make -j and cmake

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Wed Sep 17 21:59:04 EDT 2008

Jim Chaney wrote:

> Although the version of make available on the cmake website seems to
work OK from the command line, when I then run it under Incredibuild (to
move from parallel to distributed builds) I get a crash inside make.exe.
I have spoken to Xoreax (the makers of Incredibuild) and they are
interested but unable to assist, as the problem is inside make and not
their product. The logical step then was to make my own debug version of
make from the source, but I cannot get the same behaviour from a locally
compiled make (using latest CVS as downloaded from Savannah) as I do
with the version from the cmake website.

> So to the questions:
>
> 1) What modifications were made to the CVS of make? Is there a
> certain
date I should sync to? (I notice that it says the -j option only takes
effect for that call to make, and subsequent calls have to have -j added
to them; I dont think the cmake generated makefile will do this for me,
will it?)

The fix allowed for C:/ to be a valid path.  It had nothing to do with
-j.  Current CVS should have the fix, I don't have a date.
> 2) When I get 'valid' source, what parameters were used in the
config.h? Most importantly, was HAVE_CYGWIN_MAKE or HAVE_MKS_MAKE defined?

It was built as cygwin.

You might want to look at this:

http://sites.google.com/a/rwalker.com/cygwin/make-381-DOS

It has the source as well.

> Apologies of this seems tangential, but unless I am misunderstanding
the CVS repository make hasn't been released for 2+ years so the change
from Bill has never been released...

That is a cygwin issue.

-Bill