[CMake] Clearing all cmake files

Philip Lowman philip at yhbt.com
Wed Sep 10 08:42:18 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Robert Kubrick <robertkubrick at gmail.com>wrote:

> I did not use an out of source build, so that of course would simplify
> things, but I still think that a command like:
>
> cmake erase
>
> Would be convenient to clear all cmake generated files and roll-back to the
> scenario *before* 'cmake .' Yes, I can remove files manually but the user is
> not supposed to know exactly which files cmake generates. Different versions
> might change generated files or add hidden files.

There is a feature request for this (basically equivalent to "make
distclean").  It comes up on the mailing list quite frequently.  Bill has
indicated that if a patch were submitted for this feature it would be
considered (presumably with regression tests included).

As others have pointed out it is likely that there may be a few use cases
that CMake would be unable to "clean".  One example would be a user running
a custom script that generates files that CMake doesn't know about.  These
are likely to be few and far between, but when they do arise can easily be
handled by the user with ADDITIONAL_MAKE_CLEAN_FILES.

--
Philip Lowman