[CMake] Bug? Broken header files in Visual C++ 2008 project

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Sep 3 15:59:08 EDT 2008

On 03.09.08 17:52:02, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Thursday 28 August 2008, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 28.08.08 10:16:48, BRM wrote:
> > IMHO the approach to regenerate project description files for an IDE
> > from a buildsystem tool is simply broken.
>
> Well, it has to. Otherwise the project file become wrong. That's not a big
> problem for the makefile-based project generators (KDevelop, Eclipse,
> CodeBlocks), but a real one for XCode and MSVC.

Yeah, I guess I'm really just too used to proper IDE's that don't
re-invent the wheel and separate buildsystem from project config
properly.

> > > since I can't (by CMake's functionality) add headers to the
> > > project.
>
> So if you do
> add_executable(foo foo.c foo.h)
> foo.h is ignored and doesn't appear in the list of project files ?

As far as I understand that does work, but its not what BRM wants,
because the header files are not compiled at all.

> > KDevelop3 doesn't need that information at all, or rather it completely
> > ignores the CMake files anyway.
>
> Which files do you mean with "the CMake files" ?

Everything related to CMake, i.e. CMakeLists.txt, the stuff in the
builddir and so on.

> > The generator for KDevelop3 projects in CMake is ok if you want to get an
> > initial project status, but after that you shouldn't use it anymore.
>
> Why ?

Because it overwrites project settings that you have in the .kdevelop
file. Thinking about it, the KDevelop3 generator should probably only
touch the .filelist and only create the .kdevelop file if its not there
yet. Or has that improved since I last tried it out? (which is quite
some time ago to be honest).

Andreas

--
Let me put it this way: today is going to be a learning experience.