[CMake] cmake vista tutorial?

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Wed Sep 3 14:44:58 EDT 2008

Craig Miller wrote:
> Yep, a Visual Studio 2005 target works.
>

> The output of rc /? is:
>
> c:\users\craig\nav\maps\basemaps\install>rc /?
>
> Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Resource Compiler Version 5.2.3690.0
> Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
>

> c:\users\craig\nav\maps\basemaps\install>
>

> When I run the CMakeSetup via the Visual Studio command prompt, select nmake
> as an output option, and press configure I get the same error message:
>
> CMake Error:  your RC compiler:  "CMAKE_RC_COMPILER-NOTFOUND" was not found.
> Please set CMAKE_RC_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or name.

OK, so, that is all done in Modules/CMakeDetermineRCCompiler.cmake.  Can
you add some message statements into that file?

It must be this line that fails for some odd reason:

   FIND_PROGRAM(CMAKE_RC_COMPILER NAMES ${CMAKE_RC_COMPILER_LIST} DOC
"RC compiler")

Add some message("CMAKE_RC_COMPILER_LIST = ${CMAKE_RC_COMPILER_LIST}")
stuff and any other message you think might help into that file and run
again.

-Bill