[CMake] Bundle Generator conflicts with MACOSX_BUNDLE

Mike Arthur mike at mikearthur.co.uk
Fri Oct 31 12:30:50 EDT 2008

On Friday 31 October 2008 16:18:51 Timothy M. Shead wrote:
> Of course, you still have to provide a mechanism so the executable can
> be located when your user double-clicks your bundle.  That's where
> CPACK_BUNDLE_STARTUP_COMMAND comes-in ... it copies a bundle-specific
> file into the Contents/MacOS directory.  That file could be a symlink to
> the actual executable, or a startup script.  Note that it is *never*
> intended to be the executable itself.
Ah, ok, this wasn't fully understood. Can you suggest how I might make this a
symlink? Just manually create a relative one and pass it to
CPACK_BUNDLE_STARTUP_COMMAND?

> * Although a relative DESTINATION path seems to work OK today, I'm not
> sure whether it will / should be allowed by CMake in the long-term.  You
> can imagine that end-users would be pretty upset if a poorly-written
> build scattered files around outside their chosen CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX.
Yeh, agreed. I don't necessarily think using relative paths is bad but moreso
relative above the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX.

> This is why I think the ideal solution is to:
> * Provide CPACK_BUNDLE_STARTUP_COMMAND for those people who need to use
> startup scripts.
> * Provide a mechanism to automatically generate a symlink for everyone
Yeh, that seems like a good solution now I've seen through why you've done
things the way you have. Sorry if I was rude before or ungrateful for your
work, I was just getting very frustrated with not being able to get it
working.

--
Cheers,
Mike Arthur