[CMake] Bundle Generator conflicts with MACOSX_BUNDLE

Timothy M. Shead tshead at sandia.gov
Thu Oct 30 14:43:04 EDT 2008

Mike Arthur wrote:
> On Thursday 30 October 2008 17:25:45 you wrote:
>> Yes, this is something I've been contemplating on a low-priority thread.
>>  I've added this and your other suggestions to the wiki, no particular
>> guarantees on when I'll get to them.
> Obviously I realise this you aren't a Kitware employee so I'll excuse my
> apparent rudeness but I really question why this bundle generator is part of
> CMake at the moment, it is strangely incomplete.

I am using the bundle generator on four entirely separate projects and
it's a great improvement over the alternatives, which were combinations
of CONFIGURE_FILE() and shell scripts.  It's far from perfect, but I
felt that we had to start somewhere.

> Something else I find strange which actually makes it unusable for me is way
> that CPACK_BUNDLE_STARTUP_COMMAND is manually copied into the MacOS/
> directory.

Many of my packages require additional OSX-specific startup beyond
simply running a binary (setting environment variables, starting X11,
etc), so I provide startup scripts.  This is optimized for that
use-case.  Creating a symlink to a binary in the Resources/ directory is
an alternative that I've had in mind.  You might be able to do it today
by creating a symlink and passing it CPACK_BUNDLE_STARTUP_COMMAND, I
haven't tried it.

> Combine this with this happening after "make install" is called and it makes
> it, as far as I can see, actually impossible to have "make package" generate a
> install_name_tool friendly app bundle, even with extensive work being done
> with INSTALL(SCRIPT) calls.

Not following you here.

> Perhaps I'm just being stupid but if you can't help with the above can I
> perhaps submit a patch to do so?

Sure, that's why I submitted it for inclusion in CMake.

Cheers,
Tim