[CMake] "CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM is not set"

Stephen Collyer scollyer at netspinner.co.uk
Tue Oct 28 08:04:28 EDT 2008

I have some code that I've delivered to a 3rd party
who is now trying to build it. They're using Vista
and a Visual Studio 2008 environment, with cmake 2.6.1

They're getting the following errors when trying to run
cmake. It looks to me like an environment problem of some
kind, but I've never seen it before:

> C:\mdp_qt\builds\win32>cmake /DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS=ON ..\..
> CMake Error: CMake was unable to find a build program corresponding to
> "Visual Studio 6".  CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM is not set.  You probably need to
> select a different build tool.
> CMake Error: Could not find cmake module
> file:C:/mdp_qt/builds/win32/CMakeFiles/CMakeCCompiler.cmake
> CMake Error: Could not find cmake module
> file:C:/mdp_qt/builds/win32/CMakeFiles/CMakeCXXCompiler.cmake
> CMake Warning (dev) in CMakeLists.txt:
>   No cmake_minimum_required command is present.  A line of code such as
>
>     cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.6)
>
>   should be added at the top of the file.  The version specified may be
> lower if you wish to support older CMake versions for this project.  For
> more
>   information run "cmake --help-policy CMP0000".
> This warning is for project developers.  Use -Wno-dev to suppress it.
>
> -- Configuring done

Can someone suggest what cmake is lacking here ? I
guess it's failing to find nmake for some reason.

--
Regards

Steve Collyer
Netspinner Ltd